Inspiring Mothers, Building Homes

Thursday, January 29, 2009

His Burden is Light


The One Year Book of Praying Through the Bible by Cheri Fuller

Below is a sample devotional taken from The One Year Book of Praying Through the Bible by Cheri Fuller.

January 16: His Burden is Light

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, 

all you who are weary and carry
heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 

Take my yoke upon you.
Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.

Matthew 11:28-30

What heavy burden is weighing you down and causing a heaviness and weariness in your spirit? Is it the needs to take care of an elderly parent? a seemingly impossible deadline at work? juggling overwhelming responsibilities of a job plus parenting a houseful of kids? the burden of chronic illness? A difficult relationship with someone you love? financial struggles?

Whatever your “heavy burden,” Jesus invites you, just as he did to the crowds he was teaching. Come to me. Give me the heavy load you’re carrying. And in exchange, I will give you rest.

Whenever I read these verses from Matthew, I breathe a sigh of relief. Jesus knows the challenges and deadlines we face and the weariness of mind or body we feel. He understands the stress, tasks, and responsibilities that are weighing us down. As we lay all that concerns us before him, his purpose replaces our agenda, and his lightness and rest replace our burden.

Lord, thank you for your offer to carry my burdens for me. I give them all to you and I gladly receive your rest! I place myself under your yoke to learn from you. Teach me your wisdom that is humble and pure, and help me to walk in the ways you set before me. Thank you for your mercy and love that invite me to live my life resting and trusting in you!

When he says to your disturbed, distracted, restless soul or mind, “Come unto Me,” He is saying, come out of the strife and doubt and struggle of what is at the moment where you stand, into that which was and is and is to be—the eternal, the essential, the absolute. Phillips Brooks (1835-1893)


***********

If you are unsure which devotional to get, can we recommend you the above?

It is a wonderful and inspiring devotional.  The daily devotional truly encourages and strengthens! :)  Many ladies who have used this devotional book during their quiet time have found it to be a great blessing.We find God speaking to us through these daily Bible passages and devotionals.  And somehow, the day's devotional is just so app for our day's situation or challenges we are facing.  God knows our needs and speak to us through the different readings of the day.

For more information, please go look up Cheri's website at www.cherifuller.com  She also has a column specially for mothers and has also recently launched a new devotional book "The One Year Women's Friendship Devotional which is also a blessing to many.  

Don't take our word for it.  Go check it out for yourself :)

No comments: