Inspiring Mothers, Building Homes

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Encouraging our Children


Visit us at our new blog : Hearts of Moms Blog :)

This is a nerve wrecking time for moms of children with exams. Stressful time for the children too.

This is also a time when mother-child relationship can be strained. I am so mindful of it as I find myself constantly stepping on my child's tail, reminding (nagging) him to study, to finish up his revision, not to watch tv...

One thing that I have learnt through the years is that this is also a time to build a closer relationship with our children and their relationship with God.

What I had done before, which my children have found it to be helpful and encouraging, was to write notes of love and encouragement to them.

A simple note that reassure them of our love for them, reminding them that we are praying for them, and believing that they can do it, gives our children the peace and confidence that they need during this stressful time.

When I first started on these notes, I slipped these notes into my children's pockets or pencil cases without telling them. My son was so surprised to find it in his pocket on his first day of exams and he told me that he read the bible verse and held it close to his heart and trusted the Lord to guide him during the exams. And he told me that when he was stuck with a difficult question in his Math paper, he remembered the bible verse and called out to God and God heard his prayer of help. He said he could feel God's presence with him as he did his Math paper. That was 9 years ago... and he has kept all these little notes and letters in a box!! He just showed them to me not too long ago. :') I was touched and I know that God has used these notes to bless him and speak to him.

So why not, start this week with these little notes of "I love you", "I am praying for you!", "You can do it!". You can also write a prayer or put down bible verses such as :
  • "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!- Philippians 4:13"
  • "Psalms 121:1-2 I look to the hills, where do my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven and Earth."
  • "Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. - Joshua 1:9"
You will be surprised at the impact these little notes of love, encouragement and prayer have on the kids. It is something they will treasure and remember. It is also a way of leaving a legacy for them.

You really don't need fanciful paper. Just a little note on any paper will go a very long way to bring a smile to your child's face.

If you want some fancier printouts, you can try these links :


If you are lost for ideas, you can also look up this link Lunchbox Love Notes for Your Child on what other kinds of notes to write or refer to the email you received a few days ago, entitled "The Power of a Lunch Box Letter". You can find many ideas from these 2 articles.

A little note can go a lonnngggg wayyyyy to fill up our children's love tank!

Let's continue to look to God to draw strength for ourselves and our children during this exam period.




No comments: